7.29.2009

Cooling centers, record heat, fire hoses and fan shortages

Today was an officially an all time record breaking day. Never, in 150 years of record keeping has it ever been this warm here before. At the official record taking place, it topped at 103 degrees. Yeesh! We are dealing with it; albeit difficult, we are dealing with it. Much like the rest of the population here, we don't have air conditioning. It is strange to watch the news and see the bottom ticker scrolling various "cooling centers". I always thought as the mall being a "cooling center", but various community centers, senior centers and libraries are the norm. I guess they have to list the ones with air conditioning, as not all are air conditioned (including some malls). How strange! Also, the influx need of room air conditioners and fans are causing crazy "Black Friday" shopping sprees as soon as stores open--Target, Walmart and Home Depot to name a few. Also, local fire departments are having "hose showers" were they put a hose on top of their ladders and let the water flow! All this is necessary, but strange to say the least.

We are surviving; I actually look forward to going to work because there is air conditioning there! I know, it is sad to say, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Annika, unfortunately, does not have air at her daycare, but her daycare lady does a pretty good job of keeping everything really cool, and getting the kiddie pool going. We also have her running around in a diaper and soaking her in the sink every 45 minutes or so. The weather doesn't seem to slow her down at all! I wish I could say the same about her Mommy! Hell, the heat has even forced me to wear skirts and dresses this week!

Poor Athena seems to be dealing with the heat the worst of all of us. She is cranky, hissing alot, and constantly panting. I have changed her water often to keep it cool, but nothing seems help her.

It is supposed to get down in low 90s this weekend, so maybe a little relief will be found?

Oh well, I never thought I would say it, but I miss the rain. I would post some pics, but they are on the upstairs computer--a place which I don't want to venture.

No comments: